Powered By Blogger

Sunday 13 July 2014

How To: Manage When You Feel Isolated


There are many reasons why you might feel isolated and there are of course different factors that affect you in ways I probably don't know. I am only giving my own personal view on isolation and ways to cope with it.

I have had many experiences of being alone because I live somewhere remote and all my friends lived miles away. My primary school was close to where I live - so it wasn't an issue in my childhood. Then the teenage years struck and everyone at my secondary more or less saw each other all the time because they lived close to each other. And I didn't. I have an older sister and two older brothers who'd been through this too but for an adoloscent social butterfly isn't easy when you live in the middle of nowhere. And my parents agree that nothing happens here so it's not a great climate for me to be in right now. That's why living at university was so good for me. It was real libertation and a chance to be in the middle of where it was going on. I was actually told at university that at least one person thought I lived London instead of the country! I want to move out of this area, the whole county because I know it's not boring everywhere, but that is what this county represents to me.

So what can you do to make yourself feel better about isolation? Keeping busy is a key thing, the less time you have to stop and think the better. I have made sure my days are filled with something, even if it is small. I post Motivational Mondays on Monday, Topical Tuesdays on Tuesday (make up/beauty on the way!), I post parts of my story on my blog on Wednesday, I post a link to Wisewolf on Thursday, I post a link to a positive song on Feel-Good Fridays, Saturdays I write and read and Sundays I post my How-Tos. I read a lot of the time and attempt to write. I always have music playing - from the moment I wake up until I go back to bed.

It is horrible to deal with and is especially hard as I'm not allowed medically to drive. Lately friends have driven up or caught the train up to see me which is lovely. It will feel better when I can get out of my house independantly but waiting for a 'when' is a lot harder than isolation itself. I don't believe in waiting for when's. I believe that if you want it bad enough you will find a way. But this 'when' is one that I do have to wait for. I don't believe that waiting for a 'when' can make you happier. I don't believe a 'when' can change your attitude or how you feel about life.

Hope this has helped! Thank you for reading,

Steph

XxX

No comments:

Post a Comment